John Bogle quotes offer valuable insights for all investors. With around $7 trillion in global assets under management as of 2021, you can say, John Bogle, founder of the Vanguard Group Inc., knew a thing or two about investing. After passing away in 2019, Bogle left Vanguard Group Inc. as the second-largest investment firm in the world after BlackRock.
John Bogle is the author and co-author of many books discussing his investment philosophy. The following are famous John Bogle quotes, some directly from his books, to inspire and guide investors saving for retirement.
StockRover is one of the best stock, ETF, and mutual fund screeners and analysis tools. It has 8,500+ stocks, 4,000 ETFs, and 40,000 mutual funds. You can get access up to 650+ metrics and financial data. The Stock Rover platform includes watchlists, portfolio integration, portfolio rebalancing, e-mail and text alerts, future income forecasts, etc.
20 John Bogle Quotes
Invest in Index Funds
Bogle’s investment philosophy was to buy diversified funds, mimic a market and earn similar returns. This method of investing led Bogle to create the first index fund available to the public, known as the Vanguard 500 Index Fund, in 1976.
1. “In investing, the winning technique is to own the whole stock market via an index fund and then do nothing”
2. “If the data do not prove that indexing wins, well, the data are wrong.”
3. “The index fund is a practical, cost-effective way to achieve the market’s rate of return with little work and price. Individual stocks, market sectors, and management selection are all removed from index funds, leaving simply stock market risk.”
4. “Index funds eliminate the risks of individual stocks, market sectors, and manager selection. Only stock market risk remains.”
5. “The winning formula for success in investing is owning the entire stock market through an index fund, and then doing nothing. Just stay the course.”
Bogle Advocated for Low Cost Investing
Bogle believed that low-cost investing should be affordable and accessible to all investors. He eventually transformed the mutual fund industry by creating the first index fund. Index funds charge low management fees because they are designed to track the market, requiring little active trading or oversight.
In the following quotes, John Bogle reacts to how actively traded investments have high management fees that eat into investor returns.
6. “Where returns are concerned, time is your friend. But where costs are concerned, time is your enemy.”
7. “The miracle of compounding returns is overwhelmed by the tyranny of compounding costs.”
8. “Low expenses allow lower-risk portfolios to deliver larger returns than greater-risk portfolios.”
9. “It’s amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he’s paid a small fortune not to understand it.”
Say No to Speculating
John Bogle believed that investors should focus on investing in businesses, not just numbers. Once you buy into a business, you should stay the course and hold on to it for the long run. You are correct if you think this sounds a lot like Warren Buffett’s investment philosophy. Buffett admired John Bogle because of this shared belief in investing.
The bottom line for both investment gurus is, don’t try to time the market, invest in good businesses and hold on to them long-term.
10. “Ask yourself: Am I an investor, or am I a speculator? An investor is a person who owns business and holds it forever and enjoys the returns that U.S. businesses, and to some extent global businesses, have earned since the beginning of time. Speculation is betting on price. Speculation has no place in the portfolio or the kit of the typical investor.”
11. “Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy.”
12. “Speculation leads you the wrong way. It allows you to put your emotions first, whereas investment gets emotions out of the picture.”
13. “The mistakes we make as investors is when the market’s going up, we think it’s going to go up forever. When the market goes down, we think it’s going to go down forever. Neither of those things actually happen. Doesn’t do anything forever. It’s by the moment.”
Bogle Attempted to Simplify Investing
Investing in individual stocks can have higher returns but also at a much higher risk. Bogle encourages investors to be patient, invest in good businesses, and hold them for the long run to earn solid returns.
14. “If you have trouble imagining a 20% loss in the stock market, you shouldn’t be in stocks.”
15. “Rely on the ordinary virtues that intelligent, balanced human beings have relied on for centuries: common sense, thrift, realistic expectations, patience, and perseverance.”
16. “The stock market is a giant distraction to the business of investing,”
17. “In the long run, investing is not about markets at all. Investing is about enjoying the returns earned by businesses.”
18. “Compounding is nothing short of a miracle. As a result, even little investments started in one’s early twenties are likely to grow into enormous sums throughout a lifetime of investing.”
19. “The main risk for investors is not short-term volatility, but not earning an adequate return on their wealth as it grows.”
20. “Investing is not nearly as difficult as it looks. Successful investing involves doing a few things right and avoiding serious mistakes.”
- Stock Rover* is a leading investment research and portfolio management platform.
- Stock Rover tracks more than 8,500 stocks, 4,000 ETFs, and 40,000 mutual funds in the US and Canada.
- Large range of metrics and information about individual stocks. There are also screeners, investment news, research reports, charting capability, analyst rankings, watch lists, portfolios, etc.
- Stock Rover* is growing rapidly and now has over $11 billion in linked accounts.
- Best Buy and Hold Screener by Investopedia. Best of the Web by American Association of Individual Investors (AAII) in 2020.
- 14-day free trial for Stock Rover*.
Conclusion on 20 John Bogle Quotes to Guide Your Investment Strategy
As Warren Buffett told a CNBC reporter after John Bogle passed away, “A lot of Wall Street is devoted to charging a lot of nothing. He (Bogle) charged nothing to accomplish a huge amount.”
John Bogle quotes are lessons in investing that all investors saving for retirement should follow. Bogle always put the interests of the typical investor first before profits by creating affordable investment solutions.
The key message investors should take from these John Bogle quotes is that investing is a long-term game. Start early, and invest in a portfolio of index funds to benefit from the diversification, low-cost, excellent businesses, and lower risk.
Thanks for reading 20 John Bogle Quotes to Guide Your Investment Strategy!
You can also read 25 Warren Buffett Quotes to Guide Your Investment Strategy by the same author.
Author Bio: Nadia Tahir is a freelance writer and content creator. She mostly writes in the areas of lifestyle and personal finance. She also enjoys writing on her blog about motherhood at This Mom is On Fire.
Related Articles on Dividend Power
- John Bogle’s Estimated Future Annual Total Return Formula
- ETF vs Index Fund: Which is Best for Your Portfolio?
Here are my recommendations:
If you are unsure on how to invest in dividend stocks or are just getting started with dividend investing. Take a look at my Review of the Simply Investing Report. I also provide a Review of the Simply Investing Course. Note that I am an affiliate of Simply Investing.
If you are interested in an excellent resource for DIY dividend growth investors. I suggest reading my Review of The Sure Dividend Newsletter. Note that I am an affiliate of Sure Dividend.
If you want a leading investment research and portfolio management platform with all the fundamental metrics, screens, and analysis tools that you need. Read my Review of Stock Rover. Note that I am an affiliate of Stock Rover.
If you would like notifications as to when my new articles are published, please sign up for my free weekly e-mail. You will receive a free spreadsheet of the Dividend Kings! You will also join thousands of other readers each month!
*This post contains affiliate links meaning that I earn a commission for any purchases that you make at the Affiliates website through these links. This will not incur additional costs for you. Please read my disclosure for more information.